Monday, September 1, 2008

My Choice for Vice President

I've given this important choice some thought and I've watched and listened carefully as my opponents have made their choices. Can't say that I'm particularly impressed by the way either John or Barak made their choices. Yet again its politics over ability or philosiphcal compatibility.

Joe Biden, a worthy man on doubt even though he seems to have a bit of the same foot in mouth disease the afflicts John McCain. I thought, however, that Obama was all about change. Change? From a guy who's been in the Senate for yonks years? Supposedly an expert on foreign relations, but its all theoretical. Gone on quite few boondoggles I'm sure, but ever met many ordinary foreigners, spent time in other counties or really had to deal with people from other cultures? I'm just not too sure at all that I'd want Joe Biden to be President should anything happen to Obama. But, he's older (politics), he's an insider (politics), he's from the East Coast (politics) and, supposedly, adds international expertese. Maybe. Biden does seem to have the knack of winning elections, but only in one of the most prosperous states of the union.

On the other hand we have Sarah Palin. Most of us quickly said Sarah who? What was John McCain thinking of? Well politics again of course. Woman (politics) Anti-abortion (politics) Religous right (politics) Younger (politics) Talent? Who knows? Now she is no doubt an able person to have won a governership against an entrenched party. She also seems to have stuck to her guns on change and slease in her state. Did you see the statement by one of McCain's people that Sarah Palin had good international relations experience because her state borders upon Russia? Give me a break! I don't truly know enough about her to say much. I do, however, seriously question John McCain's judgement in choosing a person with so little experience as his Vice Presidential canidate. I read that he's only met her twice yet says they're soul mates. Should have thought harder John.

Having been critical of my opponents who will I choose as a running mate and what are my selection criteria? First of all, I am looking for a person who I would be comfortable to have assume the presidency should I kick the bucket. After all in practice other then deciding ties in the Senate that's the function of the V-P; to take over should the President die or be incapacitated. (anybody watch the TV series '24' ? Shows a good example of what can happen with the wrong V-P.) So, that's the most important criteria. The second is sound judgment and a political philosophy that is compatible with mine. Why should I select somebody who I don't agree with most of the time & hardly even like? After these two critical criteria I do have to think somewhat politically and find somebody who is far better known than I. Realistically I'm a total unknown in the public world, nobody's ever heard of me, I'm not a meganaire with tons of money, I'm not even particularly good looking. I can give a pretty good speech when required, but my best hope is the Internet and a running mate with 'brand' recognition. SO:

As the next Vice President of the United States I propose: Drum rolls BILL COSBY!!!
Yes, Bill Cosby. He's probably much better known than either of the other V-P candidates, he's universally liked and respected and I like the way he thinks. He's a true American who has great appeal across ethnic boundary's; he stands up and speaks for what he believes in and is not afraid to be controversial if necessary. He will bring both serious political thinking as well as an ability to lighten up the stodgier aspects of political campaigning. I like the guy and think that the American people do as well. I would be happy to serve with him.

Now of course I haven't asked Bill nor I'm sure has he ever heard of me or this blog. He probably never will since this is strictly an Ethernet campaign and not very serious; well, not at all serious. If, however, it were serious I would still think that Bill Cosby would make an excellent candidate for high office. I do genuinely admire him.



































No comments: